Lezama

Information about Lezama

Lezama is a small municipality located on the North Road belonging to the Valley of Asúa, which is part of the region of Gran Bilbao. Formerly, Lezama was part of a parish belonging to the district of Uribe.

A little history

The medieval vestiges that we still preserve in the territory of Lezama reveal a great importance of the structures of the Middle Ages in this place. The oldest surviving ancestral homes are Casa Basabil and Arechavaleta, founded in the 10th century.

What to see and do in Lezama

Lezama Tower

Located in the Arextalde neighbourhood is the Lezama Tower, a square turreted construction ordered to be built by the ancestors of the lords of Lezama, probably in the 11th century. It was rebuilt by Pedro Ruiz de Lezama in 1360. Later it was sold to the Butrón family.

Lezama Tower - Lezama

Church of Santa Maria

This temple built in the XVI century, identifies among its main elements, traces of Renaissance and Baroque style of later remodeling. In its interior the baroque altarpiece and the choir crowned by a carpanel arch stand out.

Church of Santa María - Lezama

Shrine of the Holy Christ

It is also located in the Aretxalde neighbourhood, which houses several of Lezama‘s heritage jewels. El Humilladero del Santo Cristo is a hermitage built in the 17th century, considered by many to be the most beautiful temple in the Txorierri region. Its curious porticoed entrance, crowned by a belfry, stands out.

Shrine of the Holy Christ - Lezama

we.bizcaia.eus

Mapa de Lezama