The town of Gernika-Lumo is located in the Camino del Norte and is world famous for Picasso’s painting of Guernica, which recreates the fateful destruction of the town by aerial bombardment by the German forces of the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. After the bombing, the only thing that remained of the town was the Meeting House and the tree.
A little history
Founded in the 14th century, the most representative fact of its history is its tragic destruction during the Spanish Civil War (1937). It is because of it, that we do not conserve at the present time samples of the old medieval villa. The city suffered 85% of its area destroyed during the war and was integrated into the National Service of Devastated Regions and Reparations.