Roncesvalles

Information about Roncesvalles

Roncesvalles, known as Orreaga in Basque, is a historical place in our geography. This enclave, located at the foot of the Navarrese Pyrenees, has always been a point of entry to the Iberian Peninsula from French lands.

Home of deeds, battles and songs. A village that is a living memory of the passage and tradition of the Camino de Santiago, and that since the Middle Ages has given refuge and rest to countless pilgrims and personalities.

What to see and do in Roncesvalles

Royal Collegiate Church of Santa María de Roncesvalles

It is probably the most representative building of Roncesvalles. It is one of the best Gothic-style buildings in Navarre, which even preserves an image of the Virgin from the 14th century. Precisely King Sancho VII El Fuerte was its promoter, as his idea was to be buried there one day.

Collegiate Church of Santa María Roncesvalles

Chapel of St. Augustine

It is also known as the Tower of St. Augustine, the Royal Chapel or the Chapter House. Apart from its architecture and sculpture, the most remarkable thing about this chapel is that it has housed the tomb of Sancho VII el Fuerte since 1912. Of the primitive funerary complex (built in 1234) only the recumbent relief of the monarch on the slab is preserved. The present-day funeral complex is in the neo-Gothic style.

Chapel of St. Augustine Roncesvalles

Chapel of the Holy Spirit

This building probably dates back to the 12th century and is considered to be the oldest building in Roncesvalles. It is of Romanesque style and is also known by the name ofSilo de Carlomagno“. This is because it is said that it was here that Charlemagne ordered the burial place for Roland and his men who fell in the battle of Roncesvalles to be built.

Chapel of the Holy Spirit Roncesvalles

Library and museum

The building is located next to the Priory House. The museum includes a large number of sculptures, objects and books belonging to the Collegiate Church. Among its most outstanding pieces are a seated Gothic sculpture of the Virgin, the Triptych of the Crucifixion (16th century